Grab a frappuccino from the cooler and come join us...

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Thoughts about "Forgiveness"

I am thinking through some issues regarding forgiveness.

Does forgiveness mean that whenever we are wronged or wrong someone that all the involved parties should just "forgive" and move on?

Is there not a time when, in order to forgive, issues need to be addressed?

For example, if I treat my wife wrong in some way, or better yet, she feels that I have treated her wrong in some way (even if I feel I've done nothing wrong), is it appropriate for me just to instruct her to forgive and let's go forward?

There's no way! We have to talk about what's ailing her. We have to discuss the issues. We have to come to a mutual understanding. Otherwise our marriage would suffer. There would be a barrier.

But perhaps that's reconciliation, and I guess there is a difference. We can forgive people who don't even know they've been forgiven (i.e. dead or distance), but that doesn't mean we are reconciled with them.

It can be really difficult to know when to pursue reconcilation with someone and to what extent to pursue it. You can't make someone reconcile. It has to be a mutual thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home