Grab a frappuccino from the cooler and come join us...

Friday, July 07, 2006

"The American Way"

Last Saturday we went to see Superman Returns at the IMAX theater. My parents, Kristina's parents, my sister and brother-in-law and a couple of friends joined us. The first thing my folks said when we got in line was, "I heard they took out 'american way'. Is Superman un-American now?" They were just reciting what they had heard in the media.

Oh man. I heard a guy on the radio talking about it today as well. May be I'm a commie or something cause I didn't think it was that big of a deal.

From a practical standpoint it makes sense. This movie is being shown all over the world. Do you think folks on other parts of the planet are going to be rooting for a superhero who fights for the "American Way"? Doesn't sell a lot of popcorn outside the States.

What is the American Way anyway?

The American way of life. I understand. And while I think we live in probably the best country in the world, is the American way of life the best way to live? As a Christian, should I be so quick to defend the American lifestyle?

See my earlier entry http://yarbucks.blogspot.com/2006/06/imonk-american-idolatry.html

Oh well, we're going to see Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest tonight. I'll keep an ear out to see if they left out any references to British Imperialism.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home