Grab a frappuccino from the cooler and come join us...

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Smelling Calvinism On My Breath: How The SBC Looks From Under The Table

iMonk writes a must read for anyone who is, grew up or has strong ties to the Southern Baptists...

Every so often, I daydream about what I would say if I had to defend myself as having been a member of or sympathetic with that nefarious group known as "The Southern Baptist Founder's Movement." The Founder's Movement is a group of self-conscious, non-apologetic Calvinists who want nothing more than to return the SBC to its roots in Reformation theology and to see the fruits of Reformation in the denomination. Of all the Calvinists in the world, they are my favorites, and while I have dropped the label "Calvinist" from my own theological resume out of deference to those who wouldn't let my dog share a bowl with their dog, I still dearly love those Founders and what they are all about, mostly because I still hope for better days for the SBC.
Continue reading here.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

With more like you, gadawg, they will do well.

It's kind of ironic you speak of "delivery" over content. I was talking to someone yesterday about that very thing.

And I know this is going to sound harsh, but I'm feeling like many of these "Texas-types" are like TBN. While they don't promise that you'll get filthy rich, they do seem to sell Jesus as the fix to all of life's problems, meaning, just walk to aisle and He'll make everything better. They may not preach a health and wealth prosperity gospel, but rather an emotionally rich one.

Just a thought. I'll develop it more when I have the time.

9:57 AM, October 13, 2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a research paper coming up and I am seriously considering writing it on the Baptist sacrement (Altar Calls). I like the comaparison between the Texas Revivalist and Joel Osteen. I sat in chapel here yesterday and heard a ranter who hailed from Texas and now pastors at First Baptist Church in Naples, FL. He repeatedly said that we should "Preach the Word!" He even made a reference to Joel Osteen. The iron of it all was while he passionately called for us to preach the word and condemned Joel for not doing so the preacher never preached the text he had read. Arrrghh! It it was not really happening it would be laughable. After chapel I read a chapter on Puritan Preaching out of Packer's book Quest for Godliness. What a contrast from what I had just heard. According to Puritan standards it was not preaching and I whole heartedly agree.

12:05 PM, October 14, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home