Grab a frappuccino from the cooler and come join us...

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Prayer Request (from Ernie)

I have a good friend, Ernie Banks, who is studying at Southern Baptist Seminary up in Louisville, KY. God has gifted him in the areas of evangelism and encouragement. He sent this email to some of us this morning and I wanted to share it because it was both encouraging and challenging to me. [I deleted the names for privacy]
Good morning brothers,

I wanted to share a brief story with you guys and ask you all to be praying. This past Friday night I was sent to another line to help load for the night. I hate being sent off because inevitably you get placed in the hardest truck for the night and get worked like a red headed step child. So I went, but with much resentment in my heart. I ended up loading with a young man named ******.

****** began to tell me of his plans for the weekend. I was able to bridge from my past experiences how dissatisfying partying was in the long run and then we quickly got into a gospel conversation. ****** really had no idea about who Jesus Christ is or the gospel itself. He thought that because God was forgiving that everybody got a free pass. Kind of the mind set that God is a benevolent grandfather who turns a blind eye to our bad deeds and only sees the good things we do.

We were able to talk for about two hours and he asked some good questions. Towards the end of our conversation he told me that his grandmother who had become a Christian just a few years ago had told him that if he worked with any guys from Southern Seminary that he should listen to them. Praise the Lord for His sweet providence. So we parted ways and I left him with an invite to our Thursday night Bible study through the book of John.

Last night I overheard my supervisor speaking with a trainer and they were discussing ******. After hearing that ****** would not be at work for the remainder of the week I asked my supervisor what the matter was and he told me that ******'s dad had died this weekend. Again praise God for His providence and please be praying for ******. I want to talk to him when he returns to work and need your prayers as to what to say and how to listen.

Also, please keep praying for our Thursday night Bible study. So far we have only met once and only ***** showed up. It is as though I see the parable of the seed unfolding before my eyes as far as **** is concerned. The good news is another guy, *****, has expressed interest in coming and has already read the first two chapters of John. Keep praying for these guys and for me.

Lastly, I wanted to challenge you guys to make an Edwards type resolution regarding the gospel. Resolved to make the gospel an issue with those who God places in my path. I understand that not all of us feel "gifted" in evangelism, but that does not mean that we should not be sharing the story of Christ with the lost. I have been amazed that many of these guys that I have talked to at UPS have not been engaged by other seminary guys with the gospel. Think about that. These men are training for the ministry and are surrounded by lost people and are not preaching the gospel to them. What does that say about what we really believe? So I exhort you all to make the gospel a priority wherever you are. I heard Piper say recently that if our Calvinism does not lead us to reach the world for Christ then it is not true Calvinism. That is a very loose quote but it holds true to what he was trying to communicate. And to that I say a hearty Amen! Go and preach the gospel to every creature. I love you guys. Thanks for letting me share my heart with you all and thanks for praying. I will keep you all updated with the events at UPS.

In Him,
Ernie


Thanks, Ernie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home